Do you like visiting more than one place during your holiday? Then I think that an amazing weekend in between Trieste and Ljubljana would suit you perfectly. Did you know that I simply love road tour? Imagine the freedom a road tour could give you. Just drive and get lost into the beauty of landscapes you are going to face every minute. If you are planning to visit the North East Italy soon, I can give some suggestion for a nice road trip.
What about going from Trieste (in Italy) to the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana? It sounds amazing.
I did it some time ago and I still remember the charm of this trip.
Weekend road trip: from Trieste to Ljubljana
1* Trieste (Italy)
Ever heard about Trieste? It is a very nice Italian city really close to the Slovenian border. You will simply love its lovely atmosphere, the view of the sea and the landscape around.
What to see?
- Piazza dell’Unità d’Italia, a stunning square which represents the heart of Trieste;
- Fontana dei quattro continenti (the Fountain of the four continents);
- Walk along the Molo Audace: could you imagine the beauty of walking along the sea, admiring the Adriatic sea while having an amazing view of the city?
- Canal Grande (also known as Ponte Rosso), which can remind a bit the Venetian one; also you will see the statue of James Joyce.
What to eat?
- Zuppa de bobici, a soup of beans and sweet corn;
- Risi e Bisi, rice and peas, very easy and tasty;
- Jota, a leftover dish with meat, sauerkraut, beans and potatoes, dressed with plenty of spices;
- Sardoni in savor, sardines and onions;
- Strucolo, which is the Triestine version of strudel: its ingredients are apples (or cherries), grapes and pine kernels. And try to guess? I do love it!
2* Ljubljana (Slovenia)
The capital of Slovenia is a true gem. I had the luck of visiting it in winter as well as in summer time: I loved it both times.
What to see?
- Prešeren Square, the square is at the convergence of a number of major arteries;
- Dragon Bridge, which represents one of the key attractions of the city, because of its beauty and the legends related to it;
- Triple Bridge, just along the river: it is a group of three amazing bridges, which connects the old medieval part of Ljubljana with the newer one;
- Ljubljana Castle, where you can get by the funicular railway, the “Urban” tourist train or through several walking paths. The Castle is amazing and the view of the city and its surroundings is simply stunning. Ready to go? 😉
- Central Market, where you can find anything you need from spices and handicrafts to delicious typical products. Simply amazing 🙂
What to eat?
- Zlikrofi, ravioli filled with potatoes and meat, dressed with meat sauce or butter and sage;
- Brodet, a fish soup super delicious;
- Savitek, a very yummy strudel, made with love and passion;
- Prekmurska gibanica, my favorite one. This layered pastry contains poppy seeds, walnut, quark, honey and apples. After trying it, you will not be able to stop order it.
Road trip… always in love with it <3